Symptoms of Lumbago.
- Pain across the lower part of the back that sometimes radiates into the buttocks, the back of the thigh or to the groin. The pain is usually worse on movement.
- Limitation in movement of the spine – especially bending forward and leaning back.
- Tense spasm of the muscles surrounding the spine and causing a stiff back.
- With severe pain and spasm, the back may tilt to one side causing a change in posture or a limp.
- The pain is sometimes accompanied by a tingling sensation or numbness in the back or buttocks or leg, which may pass right down into the foot. This is called sciatica, and it indicates irritation of the sciatic nerve, which passes down from each side of the spine to the feet.
I find that in the beginning of this affection Rhus is the remedy, whether the
patient is better from motion or not. The symptoms calling for Rhus are great pains on attempting to rise, stiff neck of rheumatic origin from sitting in a draught, rheumatic pains in the interscapular region, better from warmth and worse from cold. There may also be constrictive pains in the dorsal muscles, relieved from bending backward.
Sulphur also has rheumatic pains, with stiffness in the lumbar region,
and with sudden loss of power on attempting to move.
Petroleum and Ruta are useful when these rheumatic pains in the
back are worse in the morning before rising.
Under Staphisagria, the lumbar pains compel the patient to get up
Kali carb. has sharp pains in the lumbar region, worse at 3 A. m.,
compelling the patient to get up and walk about. The pains shoot
down the buttocks.
Ledum has pain in the back, which may be compared to a feeling
of stiffness after sitting still for a long time. There is a crampy pain
over the hips in the evenings. In the morning the feet are stiff and
Valerian causes, and therefore will cure, violent drawing, darting,
jerking pains in the limbs, which appear suddenly. They are worse
from sitting and better from motion. The patient also has a strained
feeling in the lumbar region, subject to the same modality as the pains
in the limbs.